Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

Tin... when I read your technical posts. I pretend its a Japanese anime cartoon, the kind that is in english but none of the mouth movements match up to what they are saying.

I start out understanding the conversation but somewhere I just get lost as fuck.
    Last edited by 347convert; 01-22-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    Tin... when I read your technical posts. I pretend its a Japanese anime cartoon, the kind that is in english but none of the mouth movements match up to what they are saying.

I start out understanding the conversation but somewhere I just get lost as fuck.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Hahaha... just like that.

I was looking for clips from the south park pokemon episode

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I did read your post, but was trying to figure out where you were going with it. I couldn't tell you much about cabin gain because the shape of a car interior is far different from a room in a home. In order to find the resonance of your Magnum, you could run pink noise through the radio at various frequencies and watch which ones make the body panels vibrate most. Keep in mind that it would be a ballpark figure, because to know the exact resonant frequency would require knowledge of the alloy of the body panels and the effect the paint and underlying structure may have with it. There are lots of noise generator apps for Android and iOS you could use to run some tests. It would also give you a good idea as to the lower limit of the system in conjunction with a spectrum analyzer app. I don't have a SPL meter, but they are cheap. BAFX makes one that runs about $20 on Amazon. Now that I mentioned it, I should pick one up for myself.
    Yea can't believe I don't have one.I never got this involved with a system,I would just swap different tuned boxes and go from there.I found some good info on quarter waves and will test the theory on a small scale using a 6"woofer in a loaded horn.If this holds water I will actually wall off the magnum with a removable baffle to change speaker size and number and a removable square port for easy system change and tune.After reading a million theories and arguments your spot on about the resonant frequency,it's almost infinity,constantly changing buy everyday factors like amount of gas or window open etc.. so I'm not focusing on that to much but will get a range and then the magic is supposed to happen,at least that's what the internet said.lol But when I can make the windshield wave I'd love to demo,the car is a 850 dollar 412cid pontiac powered magnum,might even have the comedian in the back also...

Quote Originally Posted by lone racer View Post
    Yea can't believe I don't have one.I never got this involved with a system,I would just swap different tuned boxes and go from there.I found some good info on quarter waves and will test the theory on a small scale using a 6"woofer in a loaded horn.If this holds water I will actually wall off the magnum with a removable baffle to change speaker size and number and a removable square port for easy system change and tune.After reading a million theories and arguments your spot on about the resonant frequency,it's almost infinity,constantly changing buy everyday factors like amount of gas or window open etc.. so I'm not focusing on that to much but will get a range and then the magic is supposed to happen,at least that's what the internet said.lol But when I can make the windshield wave I'd love to demo,the car is a 850 dollar 412cid pontiac powered magnum,might even have the comedian in the back also...
    If you plan on running a bass horn you will have to keep the driver small. A larger driver will require a huge, and I mean huge, horn to pull it off. You will also need to use something that uses a light weight cone, made from something like paper or banana pulp. Horns have a very fast bass response, punchy but not nearly as resonant as a bass reflex enclosure. For that sort of thing, I'd look at a tapped horn, you can make the length of the horn fit into a rather compact enclosure vs a horn-loaded enclosure. Check out this site, this Martin King is a speaker designer/mathematician who has contributed tons to modern speaker design theory. http://www.quarter-wave.com/
    '16 Fiesta ST

Hey Tin I pm'd you a few weeks back about some receivers . Did you get it ? If not I'll post question on here .

Ty in advance

Nik

Tin (audio master),

Looking for a nice speaker for my tablet for the garage, so i can give the bose back to the wife. What is your suggestion for a 2.5 car? Been reading about sony and the bose soundwave.

Not looking to spend huge cash, maybe under 250 or so.
    Just another deplorable American...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy81 View Post
    Tin (audio master),

Looking for a nice speaker for my tablet for the garage, so i can give the bose back to the wife. What is your suggestion for a 2.5 car? Been reading about sony and the bose soundwave.

Not looking to spend huge cash, maybe under 250 or so.
    You really don't need anything huge for a 2.5 car. I'd look into something like this Logitech Bluetooth receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-0...tech+bluetooth That way, you can use your phone or tablet to play music on anything with a stereo input. I'm still browsing for accompanying gear and staying under your budget.

EDIT: Here we go, amp and speakers, too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A385A0XNQBW8HY Those B652 speakers are one of the best at their price point, and that amp should be plenty enough for your garage. You can buy it all on Amazon and it'll run you a hair under $125 shipped. Best part is, that amp can be powered by AA batteries, too. You can take it camping or put it in a car trailer when you go on trips. Dual purpose
    Last edited by Tin; 02-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Forum Member

So I attempted to re-foam my Cerwin Vega AT-15's last week. I thought I did a good job with keeping the voice coil centered but after testing one of the woofers, its making a noise when the bass hits. Probably time for a complete re-cone at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2 View Post
    So I attempted to re-foam my Cerwin Vega AT-15's last week. I thought I did a good job with keeping the voice coil centered but after testing one of the woofers, its making a noise when the bass hits. Probably time for a complete re-cone at this point.
    Did you shim the voice coil when you refoamed them? Before you recone, try rotating the woofer 180* to see if it sorts itself out. Sometimes the spider (suspension) will sag on a woofer from age. This is pretty common in nearly any older speaker with a large woofer.
    Last edited by Tin; 02-10-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Thread Information