Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit Versus Detroit

Club Member

Last summer I worked for "life remodeled" as a volunteer cleaning up abandoned houses, etc. Near Denby HS. The life down there is beyond the comprehension of normal folks. I found a dead dog in a plastic bag by one of the houses. It was partially decomposed and the flies were working on it. It was really nasty. Found another bag of dirty diapers. Of course both bags ripped open and spilled their contents when I picked them up.

So I guess you just take your nastiest garbage and dump it at your corner abandoned house, right? Glad I didn't find human remains.

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Here's some real shit

That isn't red paint

Raining that day

That was a execution of 3 people. I missed it by a few min. The basement was flooded near to the ceiling, bodies were floatin.
    Unreal Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Here's some real shit

That isn't red paint

Raining that day

That was a execution of 3 people. I missed it by a few min. The basement was flooded near to the ceiling, bodies were floatin.
    I'm sure you are, but be careful if you are out there working. Scary shit.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Very messed up. I feel for ya man. I really wish Detroit could get its act together. It has its beautiful parts and crappy parts. I used to work at 7 Mile and Sherwood. I left in the beginning of 2012 when the death toll was higher than number of days we have gone in the year.
    Past Toys: 88 Dakota SE / 90 Dakota Base / 88 Shelby Shadow CSX-T / 95 Taurus SHO / 92 Capri XR2 / 86 Mustang GT.

Current Ride: 2018 Ford Focus SEL Hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post
    All of my issues were pre-consumption, but they definitely lead to consumption.

Forum Member

The state wants to close the underperforming schools in Detroit, but put those students in any school and they'll pull it down. (only my opinion)
    The parents don't care and it shows in their children. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvids View Post
    The state wants to close the underperforming schools in Detroit, but put those students in any school and they'll pull it down. (only my opinion)
    The parents don't care and it shows in their children. It's sad.
    hate to say it but that true. That is the problem is no respect people, places things or even them self's.
    Past Toys: 88 Dakota SE / 90 Dakota Base / 88 Shelby Shadow CSX-T / 95 Taurus SHO / 92 Capri XR2 / 86 Mustang GT.

Current Ride: 2018 Ford Focus SEL Hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeLou View Post
    All of my issues were pre-consumption, but they definitely lead to consumption.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

This is the best summary of it that I've seen... there are outside forces that contribute to Detroit's woes, but the VAST majority it's problems are self-inflicted. But if you point the finger back at Detroit's residents, you're labeled a racist.

The Three I's of Detroit's Decline

Detroit used to make cars. Now it makes poor people. The city pumps out poverty on a three-shift, seven-day cycle.

The raw materials in this factory are ignorance, illegitimacy and isolation.

Ignorance is by far the main ingredient. Citizens came to Mayor Bing's town halls on right-sizing last week shouting for jobs. Let's get real.

Two-thirds of Detroit residents don't have a high school diploma. Half are functionally illiterate. Only about 10 percent graduated from college.

What kind of jobs do residents expect Detroit to attract with a work force that ill-prepared? Certainly not the technical jobs that are driving the 21st century economy. And the city can only support so many fast-food joints.

Robert Bobb came to town hell-bent on reinventing a school system that fails two out of three children. And yet some elements of the city are fighting him as if he carried the plague.

Unless Detroit commits to making its people smarter in a red-hot hurry, Bing's land use plan will amount to little more than moving poor people out of already blighted neighborhoods and into neighborhoods soon to be blighted.

Illegitimacy is a direct by-product of ignorance. More than 70 percent of the city's babies are born to unwed mothers, and more than half to teen-agers. There's no greater predictor of poverty. Most Detroit babies are added to the welfare rolls before they leave the delivery room.

Some rise above the circumstance of their birth, either through determined mothering or the strength of their own character. But many more have no hope of beating the long odds against them.
    Under-parenting is a scourge of Detroit, and yet few are willing to take up a crusade against illegitimacy.

Isolation is the most dangerous element in this poverty plant. The more dire Detroit's circumstances become, the more suspicious its citizens are of "outsiders." Bing found that out at his community meetings. A shockingly high percentage of the audience believed he was really crafting a sinister plan to let suburban rich guys take over the city.

A possible solution to Detroit's troubles would be to make the city part of a regional government. The outflow of the city's black middle class, which accelerated after the housing crash made suburban homes more affordable, is leaving Detroit a single race, single economic class city.

That creates a lot of social needs, while stripping the city of the tax base to meet them. A regional government would spread the costs over a wider area, and possibly bring Detroit more economic and racial diversity. But does anyone think Detroiters would grab onto that lifeline, let alone that suburbanites would throw it to them?

A plan to make Detroit's footprint match its population is an urgent necessity. But it won't fix the core problems.

Poverty will wear a "Made in Detroit" label as long as the city wallows in ignorance and illegitimacy and isolates itself from those who might help.

Nolan Finley is editorial page editor of The News. Reach him at (313) 222-2064. Watch him at 8:30 p.m. Fridays on "Am I Right?" on Detroit Public TV.
    Last edited by DetroitStyle; 02-01-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

I follow this guy on YouTube... he's living in a shit area of Detroit and he follows and films people that he catches dumping in his neighborhood. He's probably going to end up dead via drive-by :/

https://www.youtube.com/user/fochnut
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    I follow this guy on YouTube... he's living in a shit area of Detroit and he follows and films people that he catches dumping in his neighborhood. He's probably going to end up dead via drive-by :/

Didn't they talk to him on the Drewcast? I believe they had him on about 4 or 5 months ago...maybe I'm wrong though...but I know I've run across his story before.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post

Probably not, the guys killing people down there are not usually the ones who are working. The dumpers are being cheap but they are at least working.

Thread Information