Thread: Xpel / Clear Bra Recommendations?

Forum Member

Default Xpel / Clear Bra Recommendations?

Picking up a new black 2021 Yukon on Monday. I'm debating on wrapping the front and hood. Haven't called around for costs since it's New Years day.

Do you guys think it's worth it? Any preferred installers? I know Matt from Detail Express in Kego has been mentioned a lot... not sure if he still does it. I'm also close to MotorCity AutoSpa in RO - not sure how good they are for PPF.

Matt isn’t at detail express anymore but I’m sure they can do it.

Not sure if David Fermani’s crew at Forza Auto Spa in Troy does it.

Clear Auto Bra Michigan in Plymouth gets brought up a lot when it comes to paint protection films.

I can’t give recommendations as I’ve never had paint protection film installed but it does work. Going to have the rear fender flares on my Jeep repainted and then have ppf installed on them. Living off a dirt road chews them up.

Congrats on the new ride.
    1999 Z28. A4. Magnaflow catback and a lid. 60k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Picking up a new black 2021 Yukon on Monday. I'm debating on wrapping the front and hood. Haven't called around for costs since it's New Years day.

Do you guys think it's worth it? Any preferred installers? I know Matt from Detail Express in Kego has been mentioned a lot... not sure if he still does it. I'm also close to MotorCity AutoSpa in RO - not sure how good they are for PPF.
    I seriously looked into doing it and decided against it. I was told it’s all about the installer and it comes off and never peels paint off blah blah blah. He tried talking me into it for a while telling me they are the best installer and same with tint jobs. “Oh we never have to poke holes or cut the tint to get bubbles out. That’s a hack shop who doesnt know what they are doing.” When I was waiting to get my windows tinted a lady was there with her jeep getting the ppf taken off and replaced from rock damage. It ripped all the paint off her bumper and on a few other spots too. Then while I’m waiting some other customers tell me they know people that had the paint ripped off their cars too when the ppf was removed. Then I get my truck and both front windows are full of bubbles and tiny razor marks from them cutting the bubbles. Also my windshield has 2 creases across it about half the way across passenger to driver side. This was a place that David (Forza) recommended. Worst tint job over ever had. When I finally rolled down my windows I finally saw where he went Stevie Winder on the tops of the windows and cut down into the film. Just laid it back down and tried to hide the jagged cut marks is what it looks like. About 1 year Windows still have bubbles and pin holes and cut marks, windshield still has creases across it about eye level. This will be the same place David from Forza will send you. Sorry for the long winded response.
    Last edited by camaromann; 01-02-2021 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    correct Matt is not there but Todd still does it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by camaromann View Post
    I seriously looked into doing it and decided against it. I was told it’s all about the installer and it comes off and never peels paint off blah blah blah. He tried talking me into it for a while telling me they are the best installer and same with tint jobs. “Oh we never have to poke holes or cut the tint to get bubbles out. That’s a hack shop who doesnt know what they are doing.” When I was waiting to get my windows tinted a lady was there with her jeep getting the ppf taken off and replaced from rock damage. It ripped all the paint off her bumper and on a few other spots too. Then while I’m waiting some other customers tell me they know people that had the paint ripped off their cars too when the ppf was removed. Then I get my truck and both front windows are full of bubbles and tiny razor marks from them cutting the bubbles. Also my windshield has 2 creases across it about half the way across passenger to driver side. This was a place that David (MC Auto spa) recommended. Worst tint job over ever had. When I finally rolled down my windows I finally saw where he went Stevie Winder on the tops of the windows and cut down into the film. Just laid it back down and tried to hide the jagged cut marks is what it looks like. About 1 year Windows still have bubbles and pin holes and cut marks, windshield still has creases across it about eye level. This will be the same place David from MC Auto spa will send you. Sorry for the long winded response.
    Which MC Auto Spa was this? There's several. The RO store tinted my front side windows on my 2016 and it came out great. I just wasn't sure how good they are with PPF.

Def understand the concerns on the PPF pulling paint. I'm 50/50 at this point. I'm sure it does help protect, but also brings it's own complications. Also need to watch the cost... there's some people dropping 3/5/8k on PPF, which to me, is crazy. $3k and I'll just live with stone chips... and repaint the front when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post

Not sure if David Fermani’s crew at Forza Auto Spa in Troy does it.

Clear Auto Bra Michigan in Plymouth gets brought up a lot when it comes to paint protection films.

I can’t give recommendations as I’ve never had paint protection film installed but it does work. Going to have the rear fender flares on my Jeep repainted and then have ppf installed on them. Living off a dirt road chews them up.

Congrats on the new ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by kammi10 View Post
    correct Matt is not there but Todd still does it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    Which MC Auto Spa was this? There's several. The RO store tinted my front side windows on my 2016 and it came out great. I just wasn't sure how good they are with PPF.

Def understand the concerns on the PPF pulling paint. I'm 50/50 at this point. I'm sure it does help protect, but also brings it's own complications. Also need to watch the cost... there's some people dropping 3/5/8k on PPF, which to me, is crazy. $3k and I'll just live with stone chips... and repaint the front when needed.

Thanks!
    David has moved 2 times i think in the last 5-10yrs. Same area though. He didn’t tint my truck. It’s a place down the street in RO that my story was from. He recommended them to me and it was a mistake. Terrible place. David is great. The place he recommended for ppf and tint, not so much.

Edit: I apologize. I was confusing MC auto with David at Forza for some reason. I edited my long winded post above. It was David at Forza who recommended the place near is shop for tint and ppf that was terrible.
    Last edited by camaromann; 01-02-2021 at 12:51 AM.

I have heard mixed reviews in clear bras. Basically, they are way better now than ever for UV protection and not yellowing. I know a lot of people who have steered away from the clear bra and went with a ceramic coating instead (not the same level or protection but still a good investment depending on how you use your vehicle)

We clear bra a lot of cars. The majority of them have to have it or it becomes an expensive sports car with a paint job trashed by sticky tires. The installer used to work for the place in Plymouth. His company is called Auto Edge Experts and his work is really immaculate. He is mobile and would probably come to you provided you have a clean work area, but his schedule is usually kinda fucked. He is scheduled to be in at my place in Troy for the full week on January 11th doing a car for me and I could probably have him knock out a front clip one day.

If I had a black daily driver I would do it. It's not a crazy amount of money and it really isn't a huge deal getting it off safely. We use IR lights to heat the shit and it peels off easily. Of course, if you get blasted by a gravel truck and it goes through, there's no way to prevent it doing some paint damage. Just a lot less than it would be otherwise. We have pretty trashy roads so saving all the nicks from shit flying up onto the front is worth it IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    Paul or Sanders are our only help to get this thing back on track.

Thread Information