Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advise on a car/SUV for my Niece.

I have my daughter in a 08 Hybrid Escape AWD its fantastic in the snow .... gets 25 city mpg
    bought it a couple years its been a good car paid 3k for it spent another grand or so on it in maintenance repairs brakes tires ect

I have my son in a 09 Fusion ... 30 ish mpg has been a good car since we bought it 7 years ago normal stuff .. brakes tires...

My wife drives a 17 escape with the turbo 4 and awd gets 21 combined turn off the traction control its a riot in the snow moves out great paid 16k for it in november 2019

my daily is a 2017 Cmax hybrid fwd ... you sit up like a suv ... you dont feel like you are sitting on the ground like my sons Fusion did fine in the snow last winter ... 42 mpg I suppose if I put winter tires on it it will do better bought it for 13k before used cars got stupid this year

In my opinion ... AWD is over kill ... fwd does fine in the snow
    Last edited by derbydad276; 09-13-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    Driven Crazy

So, second generation Equinox.

My wife likes them a lot. We've had a 2013, 2015, and 2017. I know about another dozen owners of them. Basically rode out the sweet spot for depreciation, got rid of them just out of warranty/when they needed tires and the "free maintenance" GM and the dealers used to do ran out. She basically drove them for $300/month.

Her 2017 has 55k on it, we paid a fortune to get the warranty to go out to 100k/6 years. It's the baller edition (Premium AWD) but no sunroof (I don't fit with a sunroof) and the 4 banger. The only thing I'd say they were ever missing was a heated steering wheel option. She drives about 50 miles per day in and out of the shitshow known as Ann Arbor, but the pandemic caused her not to go to work for 17 months. Probably get another 15k out of the tires, but I'm looking for some 5x120 wheels to put snow tires on so she can have good ones for the winter. I think the brakes will last to 90-100k.

The timing system is noisy on all of the 2.4L. There are TSBs on it. Our 2017's timing system sounds like first gear on my 8L90e.

Ride quality starts to suffer at about 30k. My wife never notices so I don't do anything about it. I'm guessing the front shocks aren't big enough to deal with the beastly porkage of an Equinox. They're really heavy vehicles for their size.

Air filters never seem to get dirty.

Cabin air filters will get destroyed by rodents, along with the fuzzy wheel liner insulation. Easy to eyeball if it's had a rodent problem by looking through the door hinges with the door open. It should be filled with material. Rodents love this stuff. Road noise increases once the rodents carry it off.

I change the oil about every 5500 miles in the summer and every 7500 miles in the winter. Basically I wait until it looks dirty.

I actually can't find much to complain about them, other than they're gutless with the 2.4L.

I don't know about rust yet. I do clean the underside regularly in the winter with hot garden hose water in the driveway. I do fill the bottoms of the doors with Corrosion-X twice per year (it's a naval lubricant).

I would consider looking at third generation Ford Escape as well. The post-facelift version seems to have a lot of electronic problems (my in-law extended family have a ton of these because they're Ford people) but I would consider them still good vehicles.

Posting WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT in the Pub

Default Looking for advise on a car/SUV for my Niece.

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    Thanks. That’s a little more then she wants to spend. We’re looking at cars with a MMR do around 10k. May want to look into selling to Carvana. They’re paying damn near retail right now.

I’ll have to check it out. My coworker has a stripped down one and it feels cheep inside.
    The base model and the Limited are light years apart. I was quite impressed with my Limited. But I don’t think you’ll find one at $10k budget without a shitload of miles.

I would generally say, in that case, find the nicest RAV4 you can. I paid $6k for my ‘01. It’s damn near rust free (came from FL) has 140k miles and is a bit of a unicorn (fully loaded, but 5 speed manual). However, 2nd gems are probably a little less modern than a teenager would like these days, 3rd gems are the worst of the RAV4s and 4th-5th gems are likely above budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 Yamaha YZF-750R / 1993 Honda CBR900RR / 1991 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1992 Kawasaki ZX-7R / 1993 Kawasaki ZX-7 / 1989 Suzuki GSXR-750

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfastss View Post
    Escapes are notorious for the rear wheel well rotting out. Other then that I have nothing to contribute.
    A bit like this? 2005 Escape.
    download.jpg

Get a Honda CR-V it will run forever.

Quote Originally Posted by derbydad276 View Post
    I have my daughter in a 08 Hybrid Escape AWD its fantastic in the snow .... gets 25 city mpg
    bought it a couple years its been a good car paid 3k for it spent another grand or so on it in maintenance repairs brakes tires ect

I have my son in a 09 Fusion ... 30 ish mpg has been a good car since we bought it 7 years ago normal stuff .. brakes tires...

My wife drives a 17 escape with the turbo 4 and awd gets 21 combined turn off the traction control its a riot in the snow moves out great paid 16k for it in november 2019

my daily is a 2017 Cmax hybrid fwd ... you sit up like a suv ... you dont feel like you are sitting on the ground like my sons Fusion did fine in the snow last winter ... 42 mpg I suppose if I put winter tires on it it will do better bought it for 13k before used cars got stupid this year

In my opinion ... AWD is over kill ... fwd does fine in the snow
    Thanks for the info. This helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    So, second generation Equinox.

My wife likes them a lot. We've had a 2013, 2015, and 2017. I know about another dozen owners of them. Basically rode out the sweet spot for depreciation, got rid of them just out of warranty/when they needed tires and the "free maintenance" GM and the dealers used to do ran out. She basically drove them for $300/month.

Her 2017 has 55k on it, we paid a fortune to get the warranty to go out to 100k/6 years. It's the baller edition (Premium AWD) but no sunroof (I don't fit with a sunroof) and the 4 banger. The only thing I'd say they were ever missing was a heated steering wheel option. She drives about 50 miles per day in and out of the shitshow known as Ann Arbor, but the pandemic caused her not to go to work for 17 months. Probably get another 15k out of the tires, but I'm looking for some 5x120 wheels to put snow tires on so she can have good ones for the winter. I think the brakes will last to 90-100k.

The timing system is noisy on all of the 2.4L. There are TSBs on it. Our 2017's timing system sounds like first gear on my 8L90e.

Ride quality starts to suffer at about 30k. My wife never notices so I don't do anything about it. I'm guessing the front shocks aren't big enough to deal with the beastly porkage of an Equinox. They're really heavy vehicles for their size.

Air filters never seem to get dirty.

Cabin air filters will get destroyed by rodents, along with the fuzzy wheel liner insulation. Easy to eyeball if it's had a rodent problem by looking through the door hinges with the door open. It should be filled with material. Rodents love this stuff. Road noise increases once the rodents carry it off.

I change the oil about every 5500 miles in the summer and every 7500 miles in the winter. Basically I wait until it looks dirty.

I actually can't find much to complain about them, other than they're gutless with the 2.4L.

I don't know about rust yet. I do clean the underside regularly in the winter with hot garden hose water in the driveway. I do fill the bottoms of the doors with Corrosion-X twice per year (it's a naval lubricant).

I would consider looking at third generation Ford Escape as well. The post-facelift version seems to have a lot of electronic problems (my in-law extended family have a ton of these because they're Ford people) but I would consider them still good vehicles.

Thanks for all the info. This helps a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitStyle View Post
    The base model and the Limited are light years apart. I was quite impressed with my Limited. But I don’t think you’ll find one at $10k budget without a shitload of miles.

I would generally say, in that case, find the nicest RAV4 you can. I paid $6k for my ‘01. It’s damn near rust free (came from FL) has 140k miles and is a bit of a unicorn (fully loaded, but 5 speed manual). However, 2nd gems are probably a little less modern than a teenager would like these days, 3rd gems are the worst of the RAV4s and 4th-5th gems are likely above budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm looking at dealer auctions, so these vehicles retail for 12-15k with a MMR of 10k. I will look into them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    A bit like this? 2005 Escape.
    download.jpg

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
    Get a Honda CR-V it will run forever.
    This is also on the list. I prefer to buy American though.
    -Andy

1986 Buick GN Its just a V6
    1989 Mustang LS turbo project
    2020 Silverado
    2009 CTS-V

Like every other car in Michigan?.....
    Some of the rustiest cars I had.... specially jeeps were the most reliable ones, rust drove my buddys nuts more than me.
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Thanks. That’s a little more then she wants to spend. We’re looking at cars with a MMR do around 10k. May want to look into selling to Carvana. They’re paying damn near retail right now.
    Yeah she is waiting on the title. I think they offered like $21,800 or something. Its a nice car if anyone is looking.

My sister had a CR-V and it lasted forever. My parents have an equinox and its fine at ~85K miles now. It has AWD, I'll have to ask if they'd want to sell it haha.

My uncle has a 2018 Compass I drove it for the first time the other day I was suprised and how roomy it was inside. My daughter and my mother in law both have 2007 Honda CR-V's. They are both very reliable.

I asked around about CRVs since around here is granola eaterville pretty much all the people that are too poor to live in Ann Arbor live by me and 'mer'can cars are rare.

It seems that they're like a typical Honda. They built it a little too good so then each generation they make it shittier (except the Ridgeline, it's always been cold diarrhea). Most people have had at least three and have all moved to Escapes or Subarus. One person switched to Kiadai. Not a huge sample size, but all my neighbors that have one have said "I liked my old one better".

Thread Information