Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Gretchen Whitmer to propose $0.45/gallon gas tax to fix roads

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    No, there isn't. As a site admin I don't have an ignore button. And I wouldn't even if I could. But I will point out your inaccuracies when I read them, again it's nothing personal.

You said " If you vote Republican, you will get less taxes. If you vote Democrat, you will get more."

That is a blatantly false. I'm perhaps even more bitter about the hike from the previous administration because, if you remember, we voted the increase down and then a Republican led House and Senate pushed through an increase anyways.

So the statement you made is false as it pertains to this topic. You've done nothing to rebuttal that, and you can't. Unlike your opinion, I'm pointing out facts.

OK, so Snyder pushed through a tax increase. Now Whitmer is pushing for ANOTHER tax increase...so technically he is correct, vote for Democrats, get more taxes.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
    OK, so Snyder pushed through a tax increase. Now Whitmer is pushing for ANOTHER tax increase...so technically he is correct, vote for Democrats, get more taxes.

I agree, the point is more, considerably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm not on board with the gas tax cash grab. My comment was meant to be guidance for those who are trying to gauge how they fared under the presidents tax cuts based solely off the size of their refund or withholding.....that has nothing to do with how you actually made out.
    The media keeps pushing about the size of refunds and when the should be focusing ones actual effective rate.

With that being said a good Michigan example (this not me) is decent earnings split across 2 w2s (150k each, 300k total) with 2 dependents and living in a high tax house( 7k year)......w2 withholdings will be less than last year but your effective tax rate will be higher. I've seen it plenty this year.

And for the record I faired well under the new plan because of marital status, no dependents and QBI deduction since I am not w2.

Disclaimer....I rarely post on political threads and I respect everyone's opinion. I posted in this thread solely because of my obsession with numbers and math. If someone posts the delta of their withholdings my mind automatically back calculates an estimated salary range. I am just more curious whether his effective rate actually decreased. And once again it has nothing to do with political opinion or calling anyone out...it is for self knowledge/curiosity purposes only. As stated above, my effective rate went down under the presidents plan.
    Last edited by NBFRC; 03-07-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme View Post
    So the statement you made is false as it pertains to this topic. You've done nothing to rebuttal that, and you can't. Unlike your opinion, I'm pointing out facts.
    Post your Federal numbers. Nothing personal.
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

This proposal is dead in the water. The Speaker of the House and Majority Leader of the senate both said "Non-Starter". Doesn't mean they won't do it eventually, but for now at least it is DOA.

So good work everyone who complained directly to their congresspersons! They heard!

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

I'm curious as to what happened to that $340ish million surplus Michigan had, and what it went to. I know it wouldn't cover all the road repair we need, but I wonder what it got allotted to.

Did some googling and found this:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...oost/34941571/
    1955 Chevy Bel Air, 327, 4 speed
    2020 CCSB Silverado RST

Question

One suggestion was to add a new lottery for roads only,
    perhaps 3 or 4 different games that would be 100% dedicated
    to road repairs.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gas$ View Post
    One suggestion was to add a new lottery for roads only,
    perhaps 3 or 4 different games that would be 100% dedicated
    to road repairs.

What do you guys think?
    I think that's a pretty good idea. Of course, they will find a way to not dedicate 100% to roads.

Thread Information