Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New DD recommendations

Default New DD recommendations

Considering a new DD. I now live in an area that apparently gets absolutely pummeled with snow in the winter and I’m thinking something with 4WD and/or a little extra ride height would make things easier. Still house shopping but am expecting a long-ish commute (30-45min) in fairly hilly terrain based on the areas I’m looking.

I’m a little torn on what I want as it seems anything 4WD that’s clean and interesting is rather pricey these days. (hardtop Wrangler would be awesome but the only way to get under $20k is 10 years old with 100k miles!) I would really love a manual transmission as I just all-around don’t like the 24-speed automatics they put in everything these days, but I’m not completely against an auto for the right vehicle.

Criteria:

- Fun to drive and/or has a cool factor
    - Reliable – would prefer something that doesn’t have major known issues
    - Quiet/comfortable/not an econobox (this one may be tough and I’m flexible on this)
    - $20k absolute maximum. Would be more comfortable $14-16k or less (especially for older vehicles)
    - Clean and absolutely no rust
    - Again, manual trans preferred, but not a necessity

So far, the following vehicles are on my radar:

- 2012+ Mini Countryman S All4 (manual trans)
    - Subaru Crosstrek (manual trans)
    - 2000+ BMW 3/5 series xdrive wagon (manual trans)
    - Late 90’s/early 00’s 4Runner/Land Cruiser
    - 2000-2006 GM 2500 pickup (manual trans and/or diesel)
    - 2008+ Jeep Wrangler w/ hard top (manual trans)

Thoughts? Any other vehicles I should be looking at? Am I being unrealistic?
    Last edited by Birdie2000; 10-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Club Member

Good luck. I am kind of in the same boat I will need something next year and would love a manual as well. Don't know if they're much fun to drive but I am considering an '05-'07 jeep liberty with manual. They can be had around $5,000 and be under 100k miles. I will probably go south to find a rust free one. If not one of those maybe an older grand cherokee with automatic, 4 or 5 speed, again probably not enough fun-to-drive factor for you.

Co-worker has a manual Crosstrek. He really likes it but says it is extremely slow and can't get out of its own way. The GM truck with a diesel will be pushing your 20k budget if you want a clean rust free one even though it is 15ish years old.

H3T. They came equipped with the 5.3 and could be optioned with a manual. 15-19K average for a clean one.

Forum Member

I'd vote the Jeep Wrangler from those in your list. I've owned a few over the past 20 years. It covers the cool, reliable, solid 4x4 performance, stick & price point desires... but they're not the quietest, most comfortable, speediest, MPG-friendly, or rust-avoidance option either. Now, I prefer something like a Tahoe over the Wrangler... but I'm not 25 anymore, and those 2 vehicles are at different price points.

I wouldn't want to own half of the vehicles you listed that far into their used lifespan. e.g. BMW repairs out of warranty can be scary.

I doubt you'll find any of those rust-free unless you're planning on purchasing down south and driving it back. Unless you're ignoring the undercarriage and only meant paint.

Honestly buy a car way down south and have it shipped up... More bang for your buck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

I fully anticipate buying from the south. It's the only way to get something clean if I end up going for something older. I'm mainly concerned with rust on the paint, but a clean underbody would sure be nice.

I admit a Tahoe is tempting, but they're generally either too expensive or ragged out. It's in the back of my mind though. Wish you could get them with a 6.0 and/or 3/4 ton like you could the Suburbans.

The German cars I'm torn on. I've always been scared of them and am still leary. That said, my gf has a Cooper S convertible it's a fantastic car even with an automatic. I used to make fun of Minis but I've completely changed my mind. Hasn't skipped a beat since she bought it new 10 years ago and is like driving a damn go-kart. So far the Germans seem to be the only ones that have any variety with the criteria I'm looking for so I'm trying to keep an open mind towards them.

Wrangler is definitely less refined that I'd like at this point in life, but the ability take the roof off in the summer would be awesome up here. If they were cheaper I'd already own one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Club Member

I like Tahoes too but to me they drive like a big truck = not fun. The grand cherokees are much nimbler and probably better for offroading in stock form. I've spent countless hours driving new wranglers and for anything but offroading they leave EVERYTHING to be desired, IMO. Noisy, uncomfortable, rough ride, no room, bad fuel economy, and they refuse to go straight down the road. Still, they are kinda cool!

Fair enough. I've never driven in one so I fully admit they may end up being worse than I imagined overall.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...343380456.html

black awd boost paddle shift tune it snow tires run on sentence
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thread Information