Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpsteer is killing me!

Default Bumpsteer is killing me!

Sup fellas,
    The suspension on my 03 Mach 1 is completely stock. As of late, I have been experiencing some harsh bumpsteer when driving on roads that are not super smooth. My tires sizes are factory as well. I dont know too much about suspension components, but Ive read that a bump steer kit is only really needed when lowering the car. Is this true? Ive also read that it may be caused by worn outer tie rod ends. It was suggested that if I decide to replace the tie rod ends, an alignment would be in order. Any suggestions or ideas is much appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member

You will also need a bump steer gauge. Sometimes it will save you money in the long run to just pay someone to do it for you.
    http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

Club Sponsor

A good chassis inspection is in order if a car that is totally stock and is exhibiting these issues. We offer a free 33 piont chassis/suspension inspection to all of our customers and welcome you to bring it to our facility for service and diagnosys.

Sean

248-682-3840

Quote Originally Posted by 92TripBlkVert View Post
    Sup fellas,
    The suspension on my 03 Mach 1 is completely stock. As of late, I have been experiencing some harsh bumpsteer when driving on roads that are not super smooth. My tires sizes are factory as well. I dont know too much about suspension components, but Ive read that a bump steer kit is only really needed when lowering the car. Is this true? Ive also read that it may be caused by worn outer tie rod ends. It was suggested that if I decide to replace the tie rod ends, an alignment would be in order. Any suggestions or ideas is much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for the replys fellas. Sean, I appreciate the offer, but I currently live in Florida.

Club Sponsor

Didn't notice the location.

Where abouts ? I know of a few good shops down that way.

Thanks for the replys fellas. Sean, I appreciate the offer, but I currently live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Didn't notice the location.

Where abouts ? I know of a few good shops down that way.
    Panhandle.

Club Sponsor

floribama area ?

Panhandle.

Forum Member

First, check for play in your tie rod ends, balljoints and control arm bushings. Then check your toe setting. Any of the above that is loose or worn out can cause wandering over rough roads, and if your toe is set too far out, it can lead to the dartiness too.

What you're experiencing is probably not true bumpsteer, so the aftermarket bumpsteer kits probably won't help much, other than fix the little bit of true bumpsteer that has been there since the car was brand new.

One other thing to consider, if you have aftermarket wheels with the wrong offset, it can can also make a problem like this worse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bainbridge View Post
    You will also need a bump steer gauge. Sometimes it will save you money in the long run to just pay someone to do it for you.
    http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
    LOL. A dedicated bumpsteer guage is most definately not needed unless you are checking bumpsteer very often. Bumpsteer is simply the change in toe as the suspension travels up and down. If you can measure toe, and can load up weights on the car to compress the suspension, then you can measure bumpsteer.

Thread Information