Thread: Who can install a new Subframe on 48 Chevy pick up?

Default Who can install a new Subframe on 48 Chevy pick up?

I'm thinking about picking up another project truck. (1948 Chevy Pick up) I would really like to have Disc brakes and Power steering. From everything I read one of the best ways to do this is weld a newer sub frame in. I know some people say Camaro , Nova etc. Does anyone know someone that does this type of work? Or does anyone have any idea on how much I would expect to pay in labor. I'm prepared to be flamed. But go easy on me I recently decided to go from the from the 4x4 off road world to Hot rod world so please excuse my ignorance. No I'm not referring to the 56 Ford in my avatar. I recently bought that one. But I think I'm going to get it running and give it to my Dad.

Thanks, Matt

Thanks for the link. Doing it that way has definitely crossed my mind. I have my daily driver S10 I could use as a donor.

Reiters has done that plenty of times. Has quite a few bad ass old trucks in his shop right now.
    01 EXCURSION
    11 RUBICON black ops
    82 MUSTANG GT
    75 Porsche 914

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstang View Post
    Reiters has done that plenty of times. Has quite a few bad ass old trucks in his shop right now.
    Talk to Reiters for sure. You won't be disappointed. Their work is top shelf and they are great people.

X2 on that recommendation.

Read up a lot on S10 frame swaps, there are goofy things you have to do with wheels that you may not like. There are many websites from guys that have done that swap, I recommended it to a buddy with a 53 Chev, and he decided to stick with the Volare setup him and his dad did back in the 80's.

There are at least 6-7 different shops out there that do IFS swaps, I think TCI (maybe) just came out with a kit that uses 77-96 B-car (also 70-82 F-car) bits with a 90's T-bird power rack. Low cost 12" brake setup, rotors are cheap, calipers are under $30 each.. You can use 5x4.75" bolt pattern wheels too.

HTH..

BTW, love the F-100, I have a 53 myself.
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Thread Information