Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: The ask Tin about audio thread

So last night I cracked open my Electro Voice coaxial drivers. They sounded like they were in dire need of new caps...the mid range was very shouty, something I wouldnt think would be characteristic of this driver. I yanked the cap off the back of the driver, and what do I see..? A 3uF cap, on an 8 ohm speaker. These puppies are supposed to cross over at 3500Hz, but with the 3uF it was more like 6000Hz. That would explain why I was getting so much midrange shout. Im not a stranger to the shout, as Ive run larger single full range drivers and that is characteristic of them. I measured the tweets, and sure enough, one was 6.2 ohms and the other 6.3 ohms. If they were true 16 ohm drivers, they wouldve measured somewhere between 10 and 14 ohms, and the 3uF cap wouldve been correct. I replaced the 3uF caps with 5.6uF, and now these sound oh so smooth now. The other driver had the same 3uF cap in it from the factory. Kinda makes one wonder...was somebody drinking on the assembly line? Maybe they just changed over from 16 ohm to 8 ohm mid-shift and somebody grabbed caps from the wrong bin? I dont think Electro Voice employed the UAW despite their Michigan roots . Ill never know, but now these things sound like they should. Im in love with them all over again.
    Last edited by Tin; 08-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Can't wait to hear those puppies!
    AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care
    www.autolavish.com

Read our Professional Detailing Articles Here

Like / Follow us on Facebook!

Got a Detailing or car care question? Ask us here!

Pair of Pioneer HPM-100s for $100. Get em while theyre hot!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/3209602874.html
    '16 Fiesta ST

Heres some nice Infinity Kappa 8s for a great price. These are some of the best Infinity made, with an Emit ribbon tweeter and a polydome midrange. They need big power to drive, so dont expect much joy with less than 100W or so. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/3266796350.html
    '16 Fiesta ST

Tin i have a simple question....I have a Car subwoofer that broke the tinsel lead right at the cone.....Easy fix? if so you have any sites to show the best way to do it??

Heres the procedure to do the job. http://www.ehow.com/how_12043222_fix...ead-wires.html Ive never fixed a broken voice coil lead, but it looks pretty straightforward. As long as you have a steady hand and the proper tools, you should be ok.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Where is a good place to shop for and HDMI to Cat6 conversion, so I dont have to run a 60 Foot HDMI cable to my TV?

Quote Originally Posted by 347convert View Post
    Where is a good place to shop for and HDMI to Cat6 conversion, so I dont have to run a 60 Foot HDMI cable to my TV?
    www.parts-express.com

Theyre right down in Springfield, OH, so they ship here very quick. If I get the cheap Fedex shipping, I have my stuff the next day (Saturdays too). If you pick the economy shipping, it takes about a week.
    '16 Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    www.parts-express.com

Theyre right down in Springfield, OH, so they ship here very quick. If I get the cheap Fedex shipping, I have my stuff the next day (Saturdays too). If you pick the economy shipping, it takes about a week.
    I second them, they're great.

Couple more questions....I just picked up a Harman Kardon SC2020 tonight....First question is it worth anything?...second question do you know what needle it uses?
    I also picked up a Sony DTC-A7 with rack mounts looks new....worth anything??

Thread Information