Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most American made car...

Love my Canadian built FCA car (even though it was Chrysler LLC at the time), and its Mexican built engine under the hood.
    15 Wrangler
    15 RAM v6

Fiat Mopars!

Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by dline View Post
    Love my Canadian built FCA car (even though it was Chrysler LLC at the time), and its Mexican built engine under the hood.
    Me too.

I always wondered what stuff like this actually meant, so I looked it up. The cars.com report uses the window sticker percentages, plus it figures in where it is built, number of employees, and where the engine and transmission is built. So they double dip the engine, trans, and labor to some extent. The window sticker values are based on value of parts plus installation. So from a quantity of parts, you could have 50% of the parts coming over from China, but if the engine and transmission are from the US, all the body steel and sheet metal are from the US, and it is assembled in the US, you could end up with 80% US content by cost.

So yea, just something to think about.

-Geoff
    2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
    So are you agreeing with me?

My point is that there's a lot more to making a company American (or not) than simply where the parts were manufactured or final assembly took place. Sure, GM is a multi-national and they build and sell cars all over the world. But it's still an American company. HQ is here. Profits are sent here. Vast majority of R&D, design, engineering, leadership is here. And that's why Honda or Toyota will always be Japanese, even if they established final assembly for the NA market in my garage and paid me rent. That's was my point... placing 4 PoS Japanese cars on the "Top 10 most American list" is a crock of shit.
    Yeah we're pretty much saying the same thing. Toyota and Honda are Japanese companies because their HQ's are there. GM/Ford/FCA are US, because their HQ's are here. It gets too gray too quickly after that. If we want to get into tax laws and where the companies are claiming their money, maybe that's another wrinkle to consider.
    '18 Regal GS

Thread Information