Thread: Cutting Springs

Default Cutting Springs

I have a set of Eibach Sportlines on my car right now but it rides just a bit to low. I was thinking of cutting down my stock springs and putting them on to see how i like them. So the question is if i want to drop the car 1.25'' and 1.5'' do i just cut that much off the spring??? or is there a formula that would relate to the amount the spring will compress once it is installed??? and are there any shops that could cut them to the exact length around here?? cause if i do it, it would probably be in a vise with a sawzall. thanks for the help.
    Here for a good time, not a long time....

Springs are a b!tch to cut.

After you cut them you will regret doing it BIG TIME. Your car will bounce like crazy, you will sacrifice the ride and the overall liking of driving the car.

I'd suggest calling Eibach or searching on the internet and finding the drop measurement's that you would like. There are hundred's of spring companies out there, that all offer different sizing's and custom made springs. Just take a look around.

If it's for the car in your sig. I'd call Summit and see if they could help cause last time I checked they have a bunch of custom springs in stock for Mustangs.

When I cut my stock coils on my truck, 1 full coil dropped it almost a full 2".It didnt ride any rougher.
    2009 GMC Sierra 4X4 SLT
    2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT
    1998 Ski Doo Formula III 700
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450 SE

Quote Originally Posted by FSTSOHC View Post
    Springs are a b!tch to cut.

After you cut them you will regret doing it BIG TIME. Your car will bounce like crazy, you will sacrifice the ride and the overall liking of driving the car.

I'd suggest calling Eibach or searching on the internet and finding the drop measurement's that you would like. There are hundred's of spring companies out there, that all offer different sizing's and custom made springs. Just take a look around.

If it's for the car in your sig. I'd call Summit and see if they could help cause last time I checked they have a bunch of custom springs in stock for Mustangs.

this is the car it's going on. and i could always put the sportlines back on if i don't like the cut springs. thanks for the Summitt mention, i'll have to give them a call.
    Here for a good time, not a long time....

On my mustang I cut 1.5" and the car was pretty much exactly 1.5" lower. I have done this on many mustang's and f-body's with the same result. The car rides far better than eibach springs and 60' better.

Quote Originally Posted by GPowrie View Post
    On my mustang I cut 1.5" and the car was pretty much exactly 1.5" lower. I have done this on many mustang's and f-body's with the same result. The car rides far better than eibach springs and 60' better.
    x2
    we did this to my camaro, my buddy murph's formula, JTCockstrat's stang frankys car....list goes on. it works well and pretty much just rides like stock since it's a stock spring, just less travel.
    -Matt Zimmerman-

'98 Turbo Camaro '02 PowerStroke F-2Fiddy '06 YZF-R6

Quote Originally Posted by n8dogg2669 View Post
    I have a set of Eibach Sportlines on my car right now but it rides just a bit to low. I was thinking of cutting down my stock springs and putting them on to see how i like them. So the question is if i want to drop the car 1.25'' and 1.5'' do i just cut that much off the spring??? or is there a formula that would relate to the amount the spring will compress once it is installed??? and are there any shops that could cut them to the exact length around here?? cause if i do it, it would probably be in a vise with a sawzall. thanks for the help.
    Cant you put in isalators and get what ur lookin for? Should pm ryan(kovacs) he has the springs from you and i think all he did basiclly was that and he got bout an inch or better... I think! I had to edit bcause the more i think about it, he put the springs in at first with no isolators and it was REALLY low, and then put them in and raised it up so i think i just did a lot of pecking at the keys for nothing!!!
    Last edited by 86 jewel; 04-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.
    <sold

PM sent

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GPowrie View Post
    x3

Cut my front springs, it rode fine.
    Jon
    URDONE4 Racing
    Stock 93' notch
    14' 300s - DD

Quote Originally Posted by 86 jewel View Post
    Cant you put in isalators and get what ur lookin for? Should pm ryan(kovacs) he has the springs from you and i think all he did basiclly was that and he got bout an inch or better... I think! I had to edit bcause the more i think about it, he put the springs in at first with no isolators and it was REALLY low, and then put them in and raised it up so i think i just did a lot of pecking at the keys for nothing!!!
    Hey Nate, like jewel was saying. at first i put my springs in with no Isolators, it was too low like in your picture, i bought all new energy suspension isolators and also had a 1/4 inch spacer ring that came with my steeda ball joints, i put them in and turn the spring to that the coil was opposite of where it should be in the perch which is worth a good 1/4 inch at least. i will see if i have any pics but it put the ride height right where i wanted it! DO NOT cut your springs, keep the sprotlines and try that. Also the rear is a bit different story, even with iso's its a little too low for me, but im going to solve that by adding height adjustable steeda weight jackers. Good luck hope this helps ya!

Ryan

Thread Information