Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping to Ford 9" ends on my 8.8" ?'s

Default Swapping to Ford 9" ends on my 8.8" ?'s

I have the Strange axles with c-clip eliminators with strange rear brakes. I was planning to install 9" ends but was unsure of what to do with my current parts. Are they in any way interchangeable ? Do the ends have the same bolt pattern/bearing size ? Will I be able to reuse my caliper bracket ? Any advice is appreciated, first time I am doing this and don't want to mess up.....
    Licensed and Insured Plumber

New caliper brackets will be needed. Bearing is different because you won't use c clips eliminators.

I have aerospace brakes and was able to re-use everything. If I remember correctly, there are two different ends you can buy, one with the same flange bolt pattern as an 8.8. I had Todd at Reiters do mine...sponsor here.

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    I have aerospace brakes and was able to re-use everything. If I remember correctly, there are two different ends you can buy, one with the same flange bolt pattern as an 8.8. I had Todd at Reiters do mine...sponsor here.
    I thought they sold them with the 8.8 pattern. I am capable of handling a job like this, I just wanted to hear the advice of others that have done the swap. Internet searches have pulled up some pretty good info, but i can't believe everything on the internet..lol

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2FST View Post
    He said he wanted a 9'' end, not a 9'' end with 8.8 pattern. My question is why would you stay with a 8.8? Look how close together the bolts are in comparison to a big Ford!!! Also, look at down the road regarding brake selection...far more for a big Ford than a 8.8. What is another 75 for the new brackets? That is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer! View Post
    I thought they sold them with the 8.8 pattern. I am capable of handling a job like this, I just wanted to hear the advice of others that have done the swap. Internet searches have pulled up some pretty good info, but i can't believe everything on the internet..lol
    See above. I believe MW has on their site still pics of the ends with the measurements...if you go with a 9'' bearing housing end why not upgrade the bolt size and spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwraddr View Post
    He said he wanted a 9'' end, not a 9'' end with 8.8 pattern. My question is why would you stay with a 8.8? Look how close together the bolts are in comparison to a big Ford!!! Also, look at down the road regarding brake selection...far more for a big Ford than a 8.8. What is another 75 for the new brackets? That is just my opinion.

See above. I believe MW has on their site still pics of the ends with the measurements...if you go with a 9'' bearing housing end why not upgrade the bolt size and spacing?
    I think I kept the 8.8 spacing on my race car because it already had the strange brakes, and I couldn't see having to upgrade to another kind of brake ever. I kept the 8.8 spacing on my street car because the stock drum brake junk went right back on it.
    11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    I think I kept the 8.8 spacing on my race car because it already had the strange brakes, and I couldn't see having to upgrade to another kind of brake ever. I kept the 8.8 spacing on my street car because the stock drum brake junk went right back on it.
    Makes good sense.

I just think that if you are going to spend the money why not spend a little more!! I know, I am ANAL.

On a street car, I agree especially if you are running the stock brakes. After all, on a street car it really only makes sense to do it to stop the leaks of the c clip eliminators. You agree?

Like the Detroit Racing site, started a thread last night!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pwraddr View Post
    Makes good sense.

I just think that if you are going to spend the money why not spend a little more!! I know, I am ANAL.

On a street car, I agree especially if you are running the stock brakes. After all, on a street car it really only makes sense to do it to stop the leaks of the c clip eliminators. You agree?
    I totally agree with you, my street car will be really slow so the stock brakes will be fine. The rear had to get narrowed because I bought the car with one wheel tub cut out of it kind of unique circumstance and probably the only truly low budget car that has mini tubs in it.
    11 Mustang GT (street car)
    87 Grand National (grudge car)
    Misc old Ford street cars

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy302 View Post
    I totally agree with you, my street car will be really slow so the stock brakes will be fine. The rear had to get narrowed because I bought the car with one wheel tub cut out of it kind of unique circumstance and probably the only truly low budget car that has mini tubs in it.
    Laughing...I thought I remembered that someone bought someones project with a tub already cut out!!! I guess it was you!

I would love to see your car sometime, maybe this summer. I really only know a couple people on the board. When I got married, my wife started on me about building another car....so here I am!!

Do you run a Mcdonalds or what is the joke if there is one???

Regards,
    Keith

Thanks for the responses, I have it pretty much figured out. I am going to assemble it and see if I can narrow the housing by 1" as well. I have someone that is going to show me how to cut the axles and get the splines recut. It is something I always wanted to do and things are starting to look better so maybe we will get out for some passes after i get the new engine together.

Thread Information