Thread: Changing A Bar??

Question Changing A Bar??

Hi Guys,

Got a question regarding a door bar in a cert. cage. The cage currently is cert until this fall for 8.50 Way back, when we originally installed the 6pt. bar, I had stock seats which, sat a lot higher than the current Kirkeys that are basically on the floor--I'm 6'2" and NEED it that way. Now that the seating position is much lower, the diagonal door bar is really in the way to get in and out of the seat--even with the steering wheel off. The bar still passes between my shoulder and elbow so it is still legal but that bar could be a lot lower and still be legal AND make it easier to get in/out of the car.

My question is: can I cut that bar out and weld in another one that still falls between the shoulder and elbow? I realize that the cage will need to be re-certified (not a big deal since it is due in the fall) but, I only want to do it to the driver's side. Would this be a problem?? Naturally, I would talk to NHRA tech before doing it but can anyone see a problem with this??

Since you already plan to get it re-certified I don't see why not. When my 6-point was converted to a 8.50 legal 10-point I had the swingouts removed and solid bars welded in place, which were also lower because like you I made the switch from stock seats to Kirkeys and am the same height as you. Aside from the cage looking a little wavy where the old bar was ground off from the main hoop, I don't see any complications at all with doing this. Granted I haven't had my cage inspected yet, but I don't/never did expect any problems from this.

Thanks!!!!!

Club Sponsor

Don't grind the weld off the tube. You can smooth it down so it does not have a sharp edge but toatlly removing it may cuase a fail on a wall thickness check and is generally frowned upon buy every SFI cert I have read.

Thread Information