Thread: Need help on tire choice

Default Need help on tire choice

I am looking to go with MT ET streets and was wondering if these are a good choice of tire or go with something else. Also what size should I go with. The car is a 1990 Mustang notch, has BFG drag radials (275/50-15) using a weld Rodlite 8x15 5.5 backspace and running 3.55 gear. The BFG's get no traction at the strip or street. This car is weekend cruiser and strip car. The other issue I have is hitting the rev limmiter about 100' before the end of the track so I want to go larger diameter tire. I was thinking 27X10.50-15LT or 28X11.50-15LT. Will these fit with out rubbing? Should I go a different brand of tire? I would like for this thing to hook this year. I could do no better than 1.7 60' last year. Any suggestions on tire would be great. THANKS

Forum Member

i have a pair of sportsman pro's. wrinkle wall like a slick, but still have tread. good shape. 26x10.50x15. $100

Quote Originally Posted by jameser View Post
    I am looking to go with MT ET streets and was wondering if these are a good choice of tire or go with something else. Also what size should I go with. The car is a 1990 Mustang notch, has BFG drag radials (275/50-15) using a weld Rodlite 8x15 5.5 backspace and running 3.55 gear. The BFG's get no traction at the strip or street. This car is weekend cruiser and strip car. The other issue I have is hitting the rev limmiter about 100' before the end of the track so I want to go larger diameter tire. I was thinking 27X10.50-15LT or 28X11.50-15LT. Will these fit with out rubbing? Should I go a different brand of tire? I would like for this thing to hook this year. I could do no better than 1.7 60' last year. Any suggestions on tire would be great. THANKS
    I have Hoosier Quick Time Pro's on my car, 1.45 60' consistant. 27 11.50 is the equivalant to a 27 10.5 slick. No worry about rubbing issues, other than teh obvious inner fenderwell beating, and wheel lip rolling if your car sits as low as mine. And i drive mine more than i race it.

28/11.5/15 ET STREETS should fit just fine. I had them on my car (83 GT) last year and they never rubbed. I had the same issue with my car running out of gear just after the 1/8th but I just put a 4.10 in it. Although, I am running 26/11.5/15 ET STREETS this year so I should just barely make it to the finish without running out of gear. On a side note, the ET's have always worked great for me on the street and the track. They might not last quite as long as a radial but they have always hooked better for me.
    "Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know."

you'll love the streets. just make sure you have the correct backspaceing on your rims, and they should clear no problem.

x2 for the hoosiers and remember a quicktimepros and et streets are at least an inch narrower than the equivalent slick size the 28 might run into a forward and back fitment issue unless you have adjustable uppers and lowers so you can make sure the rearend is centered in the wheel well

I went 1.47 on 27in Et streets. manual trans
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Thread Information