Thread: My winter project- 1975 Yamaha xs500

Default My winter project- 1975 Yamaha xs500

I purchased this off a member here (MotorPsycho) in November and have been slowly working on getting it into good running condition. Its an xs500 DOHC twin, cosmetically im very impressed by how well everything has stayed maintained most of the chrome is still great with minor pitting and the frame and paint is still all in good shape.

I need a ding king for the tank theres a few spots i wanna pull out, other than that its all mechanical work from here on out.

The Night i brought it home

First fuel up, got it started firing on both cylinders after replacing a spark plug and gave the carbs a thorough cleaning.

Jumping it to give it a start after sitting for a couple weeks, keeping the battery inside now..

and some other misc shots i've taken of it so far..

playing around in photoshop seeing what it would look like with no fenders, i removed the chain guard and front fender but the tail light wiring was in the way for the rear i havn't tackled that yet i wanna make sure its what i wanna do first, lookin into drag bars and a cafe seat possibly, or just keeping it stock im really back and forth as of now..

with rear fender

without

More updates to come as the weather gets warmer!

Smile

also wanted to ask does anyone know how to synch carbs? the bike currently has a top end of about 35mph because after 2k rpms it cuts out to one carb and the other one just quits... and im not sure quite how to fix that

I can sync them, There is a few easy ways to do it by hand as well. Not not as well as with the gauge. I can figure her out

Cool Bike. That thing looks mint.

My neighbor this past summer picked up an older Honda (i think a 75 also) He had carb issues too. Cleaned & synced the carbs and reset the valve lash and now runs like new.

I really dig the older ones like these.
    ****MATT*****

its not mint but its in pretty good condition, cosmetically at least. If you'd be willing to show me some tips and tricks to tuning them stealth it'd be much appreciated, i wanna get this thing working "like new" by spring so i can start cruising

Quote Originally Posted by 86 Fox View Post
    its not mint but its in pretty good condition, cosmetically at least. If you'd be willing to show me some tips and tricks to tuning them stealth it'd be much appreciated, i wanna get this thing working "like new" by spring so i can start cruising
    Yeah man no problem, If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Or call me.

Thread Information