Thread: Interesting chain of events. And some redneck engineering.

Default Interesting chain of events. And some redneck engineering.

My girlfriends little brother lives with us. He has had some car troubles lately. A few weeks ago when we got all that rain and the streets were all flooding around here he decided to leave. He hydro-locked the motor in his pbobe about 5 blocks from home. Retard should've listened and stayed home. Then he bought a Mazda from my neighbor that he(my neighbor) drove everyday about 250 miles a week. Retard gets the car and manages to smoke the trans in a week.

He calls his dad and tells him he destroyed another car. His dad says if he can get down there that he could have his old truck 1985 chevy. So he was off work thursday and friday . I flew him down there thursday afternoon. The truck sat for over a year but they managed to get it running again. I was having issues of my own thursday night so i didn't get much sleep. Friday morning came and retard calls and says i'm on the freeway and i cannot get the truck out of second gear. He was about 30 miles into a 550 mile trip. I told him to try and back of on the throttle a little and see if it shifts and fortunately it did. About a 100 miles later he calls and says when he lets off the gas the truck stalls. This is a little difficult to diagnose 500 miles away. I tried to have him bump the idle up a little to get it to just stay running. He removes the air cleaner lid and asks " are there supposed to be a bunch of small sticks and rocks in here" I wanted to reply " its kindling and the rocks are flint to get the fire going" . I had to remind him that i told him to check the vehicle for nests being that it has sat for some time. He removed the nest and was on his way. He gets near chicago and gets stuck in traffic for 4 hours. Being that he left later than i suggested he got caught in traffic and now has to drive across MI in the dark. Some where between chicago and paw paw MI he lost the alternator belt. He called me and said the lights were getting dim. I told him to drive the thing until it shuts off to try and get him as close to home as possible. A few minutes later he gets pulled over for no lights. The cops shut the vehicle off after they took him out of the truck. I called AAA to see if they could Jump it / tow it somethiing. They would not help me because it had expired plates and all we had was a signed title. By this time its midnight and i only had 4 hours sleep the night before. I loaded tools in the truck and drove 2+ hours to where he was. I couldn't get a alt. belt @3am anywhere. I got some led flashlights (for headlights)and zip ties at the truck stop and fashioned up the best alt. belt i could. It got us 50 miles. At the next truck stop they didn't have zip ties so we bought some twine and i fashioned up another belt. It got us the last 100 miles home @8:30 sat morning.

Sorry for the novel! Hope you enjoy the story. I will never forget this adventure.
    Here is a few pics of my fancy belt. I may have to patent these.

Last edited by TopElimn8r; 07-06-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Was having trouble with pics!

Forum Member

unbelievable haha
    well done.

wow, zip tie alt belt has gotta be the best thing ever!!!
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

Now that's using your head.

+1
    Tyler
    2003 WW Evolution 8

this reminds me of the dream cruise a couple years ago. my alt pulley was so polished from being old that even max tight, the belt would slip on it and itd squeal and cause the car to die. So Darko and I came up with the great idea to take a screwdriver and hammer some little notches in it to rough it up a bit and give the belt something to bite, it worked great til that night when i got home and realized the teeth had eaten up the belt, lol
    Matt -
    2010 Boost Logic GT-R
    1983 Ford Fairmont

try using a womens NYLON next time. I did that once and it got me where I needed to go.
    ---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Christensen (PINKS)
    If you want to represent imports, don't ask for 20 cars
    Fun toys: his '99 Ford Lightning, hers '66 Mustang Coupe, quads, jet skis

You are both a genius and a saint. It sounds like this kid should owe you for just about the rest of his life by now...

Quote Originally Posted by deadred View Post
    You are both a genius and a saint. It sounds like this kid should owe you for just about the rest of his life by now...
    He was a failing student when he was a freshmen in high school. The police told the parents if he misses any more school they were going to jail.

We moved him here and he tried to play his games with me. He graduated last year with honors near the top of his class. Now he is screwing up in college and i'm back to putting my foot down. It sucks but i hope he appreciates it later in life.

He's too busy chasing tail and partying right now. I told him to enjoy summer the best he can.

Thread Information