Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Spring Bike pics

Quote Originally Posted by beertestr View Post
    Wait till you get to tires. I watched a few youtube vids, bought a Harbor Freight bead breaker when it was on sale, some tire irons (3), made a balancing stand out of Home Depot parts and did the tires on my Triumph myself. Total cost was less than $50, and I keep the tools. I even went and got the car tire sized bead breaker too, and mount my road course and drag slicks myself now. In the last 2 years, it's saved me $100's..

The key to an older bike is to have a really good idea what the repair costs will be (part cost not labor). Picking a good running bike for $500 can be a screaming deal, but if it needs brakes, tires, brake lines, etc, the part cost can get out of hand in a hurry, labor not included. I just picked up a CB360 from a friend of mine last weekend. It kinda ran, is 110% complete(spares from a parts bike), and is in pretty decent shape. The cost of entry was low and the Cafe racer/bobber guys love these bikes, so if the wife decides she doesn't want to learn how to ride, I can flip it. If she has a mishap learning, it's a throw away.

Regarding re-jets. Re-jetting is really easy, on most CV carbs the main jet is easy to access, and usually, the needle on the slider is retained by an E-clip, and the needle may have several grooves for the clip. Move the clip down the needle to fatten the mixture. Done. It'll take you longer to pull the carbs than it will to re-jet. If you did the forks, the jetting is a piece of cake.
    Glad to hear on the carbs, that does make me more confident. I was reading in the service manual and it didn't seem too bad, but I still wasn't sure. my main thing is probably pulling the carbs out of the bike while it is in the lot, but I was thinking I'd just pull em then put the cover on the bike, not sure why I didn't think about that earlier. The one thing that will probably be a pain is the previous owner has done a number on a lot of the screws from what I can tell. Figure if I get an impact driver, between that and a set of vice grips I might be in ok shape. The service manual writer was kind enough to list all the sizes for the top and bowl cover screws

Nice bunch of bikes! I Also missed out on a low mile ZRX1200 for $2500 before finding my FZ1. I was so pissed I stopped looking, there were NO ZRX bikes for that money..
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beertestr View Post
    Clean bike....

Matt, got busy, it's almost a year since we hauled that back to MI

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Yea yea, I put my new kickstand on....Progress!

Forum Member

like Mike said, Jets are not hard at all. Just time consuming taking the carb rack in and out if you don't get it right the first time.
    Here is a good vid on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpWkN0bi3B0

Dont forget to sync those carbs when you are done. There are some GS members around your area that probably have a manometer to loan.

I definitely understand working on bikes at the apartment, just take the carbs off at night and no one will notice.

Mike, you give up on finding a Norton?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista M View Post

Mike, you give up on finding a Norton?
    Nope, still waiting on you selling me yours and Cassie selling the Matchless .

Running bikes not projects are my focus these days. Still would like a Norton to keep long term though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Mike
    99 Ultra Classic, 89 Softail, 67 Kaw 250

Quote Originally Posted by VTRauder View Post
    Actually after getting this bike I wish my first street bike was an older bike like this instead of the 600rr I bought new in 2003. I paid like $1600 for it and I've been working through the little neglected things bit by bit. I think the trouble comes in when you pay for a shop to do the various things that the old bikes need.

After being quoted $350 in labor to change my fork seals I decided to just do the stuff myself. So far even things that seem difficult have ended up being pretty easy, even in my parking lot. Ended up getting some sweet springs, all new internal parts for the forks, stainless lines the MC and all the other stuff I did over winter for under $300 and maybe 8 hours of actual work time taking care of everything I had on my list. Changing the actual seals and internals/springs took me maybe 45 minutes

Getting one that was too far gone would certainly have been a less positive experience for sure though. If I had a garage to work in I'd really be a happy camper and could probably get the last coulple things I have to take care of done over a weekend (carbs and regulator/rectifier work), sadly though I have to do stealth projects in the parking lot so as to not make waves with management :thumbsdo So I'm actually contemplating having a pro re jet the carbs, but I'm sure once I hear the price I'll end up just doing it myself like I did everything else so far.

*edit I guess why I like it so much after thinking about it is that it has the power of modern 600s and still has that old raw feel. So I guess I dunno how I would have felt about the older liter bikes with no power, or even the older small cc bikes.
    if you ever need to barrow a garage for the day shoot me a message on Facebook. you're welcome to come over and use mine anytime.

If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkybs View Post
    if you ever need to barrow a garage for the day shoot me a message on Facebook. you're welcome to come over and use mine anytime.
    Thanks man

Nothing like the sound of a Norton at full tilt !

Quote Originally Posted by AutoRoc View Post
    Nice bunch of bikes! I Also missed out on a low mile ZRX1200 for $2500 before finding my FZ1. I was so pissed I stopped looking, there were NO ZRX bikes for that money..
    The ZRX has quite the cult following for sure and prices a nicely kept bike is holding its value well.
    I have a 2002 ZRX1200 and love it!4571_1085326571609_1275463_n.jpgIMG_7934.jpg
    Rode the Suzuki into work today tho!

So fricken Awesome!
    Denny Villemure
    PSSSSSSST!
    Vortec 4200 Turbo IROC-Z on 15psi
    10.85 @ 126mph

Thread Information